Wednesday, March 3, 2010

8

Veggies. Fruit. I feel really lucky that I like most all of them. But I'm facing a new, although self-imposed, challenge...eating 8 a day!

I cannot diet. Nor do I really want to...I want to make better choices that I can live with my whole life. I want to lose weight in a healthy way and never be where I am now again. So, I have chosen to focus more on what I CAN eat than what I CAN'T eat...it's a mental thing. Instead of telling myself I can't have Dr. Pepper, I tell myself I can have 8 glasses of water a day...and I naturally have very little room for the nectar of the gods. :) I don't tell myself I can't have dessert or chips, but after I have eaten the fresh stuff I need to, I am too full to even think about a chocolate cupcake! I know, it's very weird...

So this is the second week of trying to get in 8 servings every day, and although I have done pretty well, each day seems to be more of a challenge. I think I am bored...so I need suggestions!! Already I add multiple fruits to my smoothies, drink V8, add more veggies to my eggs or casseroles, always eat 2-3 with dinner...but I'm sort of stuck in a rut.

What are some easy and delicious ways you vamp up the fruits and veggies in your diet?

4 comments:

Sarah Moore said...

Hi Amy, I've got some recipes if you and your people like spinach. I have a Spinach Sausage Loaf, a Spinach-Egg fritata made with feta cheese. Email me if you want me to type them up for you. Also, here is a link to my ward's blog that has some soup recipes today--several of which are vegetarian. http://delightfullyinsightful.wordpress.com/

Morrise Family said...

We think exactly alike about this! Yet more proof that we are truly kindred spirits.

I have started trying to cook vegetarian more often. When the veggies are the focus of the meal instead of a side, I find it much easier to get creative with them. I find a lot of inspiration at http://herbivoracious.com/ and http://thyhandhathprovided.blogspot.com/

Until recently, I'd never really roasted veggies, but now it's a staple preparation method around our house. If you haven't tried it, it's a must.

Lissa said...

I crave just steamed veggies with butter and salt. Which of course takes some of the nutrition out. But it doesn't completely negate it right? ;) Luckily the time of year for fresh veggies is coming....kind of. Broccoli is almost always cheap and is great steamed. Watch for good deals on asparagus. I will roast it and eat an entire bunch in one sitting....so good! I'm all about zucchini and squash. Now I am craving a bowl of steamed veggies with butter and salt.

Lorene said...

Wow Amy you have really given me something to think about. I really could focus on abundance instead of deprivation?!? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks. Have you ever tried mashing up cauliflower and serving them as "mashed potatoes"? I know not really helpful since potatoes already are a veg. Let me think for a while. On another note, I hope you had a fabulous birthday! I would have loved to be there for Aubrey's baptism. Maybe for Gracie....