Thursday, October 23, 2008

Carrott Fries!!







Okay, dinner tonight was a total hit...worthy of a blog post! Anyone else ever get those fliers from school that are SO ANNOYING?! You know the ones, where they tell you how to feed and raise your kids? :) Well, the other day I happened to be reading one--don't really know why--and I saw a fun recipe for carrott fries. It sounded yummy...I like carrotts, and so do most members of my household--except Gracie. She is my pickiest eater BY FAR! Everything I make is totally disgusting and makes her want to throw up. I figured I would try a new spin on the carrotts and see if they might find their way down her digestive tract...and sure enough, she loved them! The picture is PROOF!


In case you want to make carrott fries of your own...toss carrott sticks with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake at 425 for about 10-15 minutes. Wa-la! Yummy carrott fries! I even kept mine under the broiler for just a few minutes--because I like to put everything under the broiler for extra-toastiness.


The other picture is one of my very favorite cookbooks. "Deceptively Delicious"--GREAT!! I don't really have a problem getting my family to eat fruits and vegetables, they actually inhale fruit like it's straight sugar, and they all have several vegetables they like. But I really love the idea of adding even more nutrients to my meals (and flavor!), it makes a mom feel good. Some of our favorites are pumpkin pancakes (or sometimes sweet potato), chicken kabobs with pineapple and sweet potato, macaroni and cheese with cauliflower, and pita pizzas with spinach. I do have a few pointers of my own to add, though...


*instead of storing your purees in a large quantity, freeze them in ice cube trays first...each cube is a few tablespoons and it's easier to defrost just what you need for each recipe than to chisel out the amount from a large mass...

*if you aren't into making the purees, jars of baby food are perfect!!!!! it's not as "economical" as the other ways, but much easier to add a #3 jar of sweet potatoes to my pancake mix than steam and puree the real thing all weekend long. it is really the same thing, anyways!


So that's about all I have to add for tonight...now go and make delicious and healthy meals for your families!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow those are some really great ideas to help make meals more nutritious. I usually get in the same routine of opening a can of green beans. These are some ideas I am going to really try!

Lissa said...

Way to go, yes Gracie is a picky eater. But you finally found some things she loves. GO SUPER MOM! Love u!

Crissi said...

Those sound good, I will have to try it! I have plenty of picky eaters at my house

Sarah Moore said...

The baby food idea is brilliant!!! I have the cookbook, but I've not made anything out of it because I've never gotten around to making the purees. Thanks for the good ideas.